Monday, February 25, 2008

Best Poem from the first week








No time for love, Doctor Jones

Third row seat, hand in popcorn

Soda stalled halfway to lips in the straw

I glimpse you for the first time

Girl giggles stall as I draw my first womanly breath.


Dusty fedora for warding off poison darts

Sweaty handled bullwhip at the ready

Clutch that golden idol

And run, run right to me.


Too young to have ever dared to taste

The “now and later” sticky lips

Of the boys in my 7th grade class

But I wanted to do something with you.


Stirring and squirming in my seat

I never noticed that feeling before.

In breathless wonder did I hang

The edge of my seat barely held me.


Later I would crest the wave

And later I would reach the beach

But never like that, there in the dark

Not even with top men working on it.


(c) Stacie Ferrante

2-23-08

No comments:

Post a Comment