Thursday, May 15, 2008

Gay marriage ban overturned in California


There are lots of stories all over the AP wire today about the ins and outs of the decision that came down today in California. I'm not even going to attempt political discourse on this topic, but just want to say that I'm pleased. At least for now. Conservatives are bound to get all whipped into a frenzy over this, perhaps especially closeted gay Republicans like Larry Craig. There is already a voter-led ban headed for the November ballot that could undo today's ruling. We are sure to hear more about this issue going into the presidential race, too.
I mean, we really need to worry about gays and lesbians wanting to form their own family units SO much more than the war or the economy, right? I mean come on, if we are in Great Depression 2.0, and you can't afford to buy bread, are you gonna care if Adam and Steve are making honest men out of each other? Or will you donate your sugar rations so they can have a proper cake, and maybe the'll save you a slice? We need more things to celebrate, in my opinion, and fewer things to lament.
I'm already married (to a dude! how retro of me!), but I wish I had a cute girlfriend to celebrate today with. Life is complicated enough without having the whole world hate you just because you love someone they don't approve of. Marriage is hard, too. If same-gender folks want to jump into the lifetime committment game, why not let them have all the benefits and burdens that entails?
People get all exercised about "the children" in these scenarios. Honestly, kids just need love and stability. I sincerely doubt they care who they get it from.
I can think of a few straight marriages that do more damage to the "institution" of marriage than any of my gay friends ever could. I don't need to name names, but let's just say that when K-Fed is the more responsible parent, the world is already topsy-turvy.

No comments:

Post a Comment