Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Happy Fat Tuesday!

Tomorrow is the beginning of Lent. Since I am not particularly Christian, I still observe this 40 days, but in a different way. Last year I wrote a poem for each day of Lent. One poem every day for 40 days. I intend, even with my totally horrific schedule, to do it again. Some really funny poems came out of it last year, as well as a few poignant little gems.

It was hard last year, and I wasn't in the Nursing Program. This year I expect it will be harder still. But writing is very good for you when you are under stress. If I end up with any good ones or amusing ones, I will post them.

My poetry book is still theoretically in the works. For some reason I am having a hard time sorting through the decades of work to select a few to print for posterity. Some of the older stuff embarrasses me, not so much because it is bad poetry, but because of the raw emotion I was experiencing about people who in the broad sense don't factor into my life any more. I am a bit of a doomed romantic, I guess.

Anyway, if anyone wants to do something other than giving something up for Lent, I challenge you. Create a piece of art, however small, once a day for 40 days. I guarantee you will learn more about yourself than if you just give up chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment