Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Writing Dilemma


The ugly truth is that I have written a bad novel. It is the result of two years of work, but it is a rambling mess with some bizarre, unmarketable plot conundrums.

I used to have hope for my deformed brain child, but I engaged the assistance of a developmental editor earlier in the year who basically told me in the end to scrap it down to the first chapter and start over, telling a totally different kind of story.

That really bruised my ego, but I think the failures of that project had more to do with a flawed premise than a lack of writing ability.

So I am going to the San Francisco Writers' Conference in February. Originally, I was going to shop my edited novel for agents and publishers. Now that that manuscript lines the bottom of my file cabinet, if not the round file, I need to finish a draft on one of my other projects to make the most of this opportunity.

Here are my options:

1. Vampire novel: It is about halfway done, but I am a little conflicted about my originally planned ending, so I feel a bit adrift.

2. Romance novella: This is a May-December erotica romance (with the older partner being a 36 year old woman, the younger an 18 year old man/boy) that I started writing for fun. It is totally inappropriate and blasphemous and socially unacceptable. It is a little more than half done, but I have a fairly good sense of where it is going, story-wise.

3. I could compile some of my best poetry and try to sell some of that.

4. Enjoy my trip to San Francisco and quit fooling myself that I could ever sell my art.

I can't do anything until I get done with finals in mid-December, but then I have until mid-February to work on things, at least while "A" is napping. I have chosen to not take any classes next semester, since I have a lot of wrangling to do with learning to be a parent. I need to not be worrying about term papers and crap.

Any thoughts? What would you like to read more of? Should I just serialize my stuff on this blog and say the hell with it?

3 comments:

  1. your first "novel" was not that bad, I personally say go with Daniel, but heck why not combine Daniel AND vampires
    either way add more sex

    Your writing is fun
    and you yourself said it was your first go, well keep going

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Stacie,

    Hope you don't mind my following you over here from tribe...

    Since you asked, and as I am always partial towards the blasphemous and total socially unacceptable and inappropriate, why not a May-December romance novella about a 36 yo female vampire who occasionally breaks into poetic oratory every now and again?

    Just Kidding. I've not had the pleasure of reading Daniel, so I'm not sure where your true love lies. Seems to me that's where your lucre is. Perhaps Daniel just needs to gestate a while longer. You could in fact plan on #4 and enjoy SF as well, but without the stated conclusion about your art.

    You've a lot spinning plates to keep aloft right now, maybe just giving yourself some space to enjoy your treasures will re-energize your creative batteries.

    Just my thoughts tho,

    Cha ::

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to agree with ChaCha.

    And on a completely selfish note, I'd also like to further endorse the romance novella. Novellas are great for a "beginning," and everyone likes a bit of inappropriate, blasphemous, smut from time to time! ;-)

    Whatever you decide, may it bring you happiness. That is what is important.

    ReplyDelete