Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Poetry-Falling In

Image credit: http://www.cafepress.com/bronzepig/2696535

Falling In

Something is coming to me
Insights cascading like falling water
Pounding rocks below into pebbles
Wash away the moss they should never gather.

Brand new ambitions rise in the spray
Like hungry fish, mouths testing the surface,
Mute and yet demanding to be fed
Finned, scaled, with lidless eyes.

Silent seeing, slipping through soft rivulets,
In bubbling whispers, urgent pleas,
Crying to be heard but so hard to hear
And hard to translate from fishy tongues.

What do they say after swimming in wisdom?
They tell me not to hold my pain,
To not define myself by what I outgrow,
To refuse to diminish myself with wrath.

My hands in the water, brushing cool sides.
I let them touch the bottom for me
Where I fear to allow myself to sink.
In eddies and swirls they beckon.

Oh, to be a mermaid and plumb the depths
Breathe under water and understand all
Rise up and sing a siren's song
Grant a lonely sailor his dying wish.

11-4-08
(c)Stacie Ferrante

2 comments:

  1. "Crying to be heard but so hard to hear And hard to translate from fishy tongues."

    Very interesting line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by, Doug! I love it when folks leave comments. It is good to feel less alone in the blogsosphere.

    ReplyDelete