Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Dream-Spleen Cuisine

I have been pretty spot-on in the ESP department lately. Just weird stuff is occurring to me and then coming to pass, etc. Way out there stuff, too.

I had a totally strange dream last night that I was tasked with making a large pot of soup. and the only protein available to put in it was a large spleen, about the size of a football, presumably from a cow or pig. I didn't want to put it in the soup at all, but apparently I was obliged to. So I chucked the whole thing in the pot with the intent of cutting up after it cooked. I concentrated on making the other ingredients in the mixture taste good. I had to nudge the spleen to the side each time I stirred the soup or when I had to taste it to adjust the seasonings. The total focus I applied to the soup was very intense.

In the dream I had to defend making this soup that I really didn't have to make. These two young guys were making fun of me. I fished the spleen out of the soup and took my 10" chef knife (affectionately nicknamed my 10-inch Dick...long story) and made quick work of cutting it up before scooping the meat up and putting it back in the soup. When I walked away I mistakenly left my knife on the counter.

I have no idea what that dream means, but it turns out there is such a thing as spleen soup. It is a German dish called Milzsuppe. If you are into organ meat food like that, here is a recipe.

I also read a thing, while I was doing research to try and figure out my dream, that some cultures believe that eating spleen is a cure or a treatment for menopause symptoms. Hmmm. I seem to be in the demographic for that, but if eating spleen is the cure for my troubles, I am in for continued symptoms. I don't approve. At least, my palate doesn't approve of eating blood filtering organs. I like to think that this makes me an aristocrat by nature, that I eschew offal in general (with the exception of fine foie gras and the occasional plate of sweetbreads) in favor of the leaner and more palatable muscle meats.

Bizarre. Don't know what it means. If anybody has a guess, or wants to take a humorous, um, stab at it, feel free to leave a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment