Monday, January 7, 2008

My Brain Trust


I mean this: Lucky Me! My friends are all brilliant, artistic, and good looking. I'm feeling awed by it today, as I often am. I don't know how I got so fortunate, but I really know some movers and shakers. I'm going to drop some names and appreciate them out loud. This list is in no way supposed to be comprehensive, and I'll leave the whole names off in case they don't want fan mail from strangers.

Kari and John: Holy smokes. These two are so smart and clever and cool it boggles my mind. They are like from Planet Cool. They have fantastic vacations and buy hip music and know just what alcoholic beverage is needed to cool my head.

John P.: Smart and sexy and super driven, yet always has a compassionate ear for me and my silly troubles. He's always jetting off to some cosmopolitan locale for business. Also a brilliant musician. I used to love to listen to him play the piano; it made me write bad poetry about him for years.

Iceberg.: He'd be mortified to make this list, but he's got business savvy and artistic chops that make him the best at what he does. He's arrogant for a reason, and I love that he includes me in his snobbery. It makes me feel slightly more in the know.

Kathleen: I think Kathleen sweats art. She's so smart and funny and warm. Her art just flows from her in a whimsical stream of talent.

Jen: Fantastic painter and searing wit. I met her in 3rd grade and thought it was funny that her mom didn't let her watch TV. Now I still watch cartoons and she travels the world. Go figure.

Eliz: She's so sassy and driven and always dresses so much better than I do. Without her I would probably still be wearing leg warmers or something equally ghastly.

Will:He puts the "smart" in "smartass". He always makes me laugh, even though half of what he says goes right over my head. I heart him.

Minya: Amazing dancer and kickass sense of humor. She's so busy it makes me look like a slug. She's a wonderful mother and a fierce friend.

Audrey: She's looks so fekkin awesome. How can she be so dang sexy? She's a goddess and I love her, even if she is like a whole head taller than me and makes me look like Jabba the Hut by comparison. She's got a cool head in a crisis, and is an amazing mom.

Lisa: One day if I ever get rich this woman will be my personal tailor. That and she is mom to two amazing kids. And also that I adore how she has never let being a mom put a dent in her coolness.

There are just too many to count. My friends are brilliant, smart, and funny. I thank my lucky stars daily. Sometimes I feel like a squee fangirl among superstars. You guys rock. And if you aren't on this list and I know you, I'll have to do another edition of this later, I'm sure.

2 comments:

  1. Awwwww *sniffle* I love you too, man! I am absolutely fascinated by all you have on your plate right now. So juicy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well since you wrote us up SO fabulously, geesh!...I thought I'd share the latest from Planet Cool... :)

    Upcoming cool trips:

    --- RVing to Tucson in February with the in-laws

    --- Driving up to Los Angeles in February to see a concert by the band De/Vision (they're German, rarely tour in the U.S., and have cool, mellow, synthy music - check out http://www.devision-music.de)

    --- 2-week trip to Japan and China in July planned with absolute no details beyond John telling me "I want to hike Mt. Fuji and see the Great Wall of China."

    Currently listening to the following favorite albums:

    --- "Life in Cartoon Motion" by Mika (damn, I love this saccharine perky pop!)

    --- "Say I Am You" by The Weepies. Ah, so nice, so sweet.

    --- "To Be Frank" and "You've Got To Laugh" by Nik Kershaw (some of you old fogies might remember "Wouldn't It Be Good" and "The Riddle" by Nik back in the 80s... these more recent albums from 2001 and 2006, respectively, are well worth buying.

    --- "Hello Kinky" by The Wet Spots. Oh my god! LOVE THEM! We saw them in concert and they are a riot, don't miss these wacky sex-themed Canadians if they come to your town (but LEAVE THE KIDS AT HOME): http://www.wetspotsmusic.com

    ReplyDelete