Friday, January 4, 2008

NEWS FLASH!


Note: for those of you who worry that things I say on this blog will affect our legal standing with regard to parenting "A", please notice that I am giving very few details and certainly nothing inflammatory.

Yesterday we went to our first hearing at the district court, a 12-month permanency hearing to decide the course of "A"'s case plan. I will not really go into the details here, since all sides are now considerably lawyered-up. The overarching outcome is that her case plan is no longer geared for reunification with her parents of origin, but is focused on the TPR, or "termination of parental rights" for said parents. It is my impression that both parents, who each have their own attorney, intend to fight this couse to the fullest extent of their ability.

There are a lot of balls in the air right now, and a lot of unknowns that could still alter the course of her case.

The case worker did get up and told the judge some very complimentary things about us and our efforts to meet A's needs. He noted that she is much loved by us and that we are committed to adopt her should she become legally free. The judge asked us if we had anything to add, so Tony and I both got to get up and express how much we are bonding with A and love having her in our family. We also noted that while in our care we have seen her progress and flourish, and that we are committed to her, no matter what the outcome.

Our heretofore twice-weekly visits with A's father are now dropped down to a more manageable once per month. A had a visit with her father about an hour after the court decision, and he was understandably distraught, although he had not been present at the hearing. Thankfully, A seemed oblivious to his emotional distress, and enjoyed her brief time with him before the visit was cut short at his request.

The next hearing will be in six months. It is expected that a certain amount of legal activity will occur during that time. We are just focusing on being good parents to A and helping her through this turbulent time.

If you choose to comment on this post, please be cognizant that this is still a sensitive legal issue, and that regardless of their shortcomings, these people are A's family. It is sad that she has to come to us under these circumstances, but we are confident that she will continue to be a part of our family as well. She is a wonderful little girl, and deserves all the love in the world.

2 comments:

  1. I think about you and "A" a lot. I am really not a pray-er but for you, I will make an exception. Hang in there sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everytime I pass the little girls clothing dept I look at all the uber cute stuff and think of you guys, as well as many other times. Justice is supposed to be blind, but lets hope she is not to blind to the joy the three of you have brought to each other.

    I also read your post about the recent illness in your family. I can empathize. For us it started with Carl and has made the rounds at least twice. I am still fighting the remains of mine. I affectionatly call my little bundles of joy my walking petri dishes, however, I like your "Little Typhoid Mary" moniker.

    ReplyDelete