Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Twinkies

There you have it, folks. The mysterious Twinkie-Henge! Some say these Twinkies were dragged by hand all the way from Wales...

Ahem.

Anyway, I was totally drained last night and went to bed at 8 PM, and slept 12 hours. I really needed that. I don't exactly feel refreshed, but it felt good to just be in my bed as long as I wanted. Since the semester began I have not slept in one single weekday. But I hit the wall yesterday. I need to recharge a little or I will never make it until December.

Doing that extra sleeping meant dreaming, and my dreams are always amusing and sometimes disturbing.

Unsurprisingly, due to my recent stress levels, I dreamed I was back in the kitchen. In my dream I jumped in behind the line to help my old boss, and now lost to the sands of time friend Curtis. I was in the weeds immediately because I didn't know my way around and couldn't find so much as a saute pan to work with. It was really frustrating. I was doing a lot of bending and searching for things under the counter.

What on earth does this have to do with Twinkies? Well, in my digging around, I found some, and decided to cut one open. I was essentially dissecting it and poking at the filling, wondering what the hell it was made out of.

I have not eaten a real Twinkie since I was eleven and was told that they never actually went stale. I grossed out on that and never ate another one. I have no memory of how they taste, and they still look gross to me.

After that my dream shifted and I dreamed about visiting a friend's house up in Washington. I have never seen his house, but in my dream it was grey.

There was something else about my mom having a new house and it was enormous, like you could get totally lost in it. I dreamed that I went into one of the bathrooms with the intent to take a shower, and my old friend Kristy was in there. Kristy and I had a huge falling out almost 2 years ago and despite my mother's efforts to smooth things over, our decade-plus friendship was fractured beyond repair. Seeing her in a dream was a little unsettling. She wasn't all that happy to see me in that dream, either. I wonder how she is.

All that dreaming has my head all jumbled this morning. I'm sipping my coffee and just sorta contemplating what my overtaxed brain is trying to tell me. I need to study today, but I need to rest, too. I'm thinking some sofa time with an old James Bond movie might be in order.

I'm not curious enough to buy any Twinkies, though. Not even as a sculpture medium.

No comments:

Post a Comment