Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Nursing School-A Kinky Day In The Lab

I have to laugh sometimes at the nursing school curriculum. We have to learn all the things that nurses do, and it turns out that is a pretty broad spectrum of care concepts. On Tuesdays I have my skills lab, which means from 8-5 I am practicing the technical aspects of my new craft.

Todays lesson: Learning to tie restraints and how to give a bed-bound person a bath.

The upshot of this is that at school today I got tied down to a bed and then washed by a classmate. A male classmate in my case.

We all took turns and everyone was being a pretty good sport about it. But we have all only been in the program together a few weeks now, so we don't know each other well. We know each other a lot better now. Enough that my lab mates (Scott and Michelle) played a practical joke on me and put a plastic penis off of one of the dummies into my prep kit. Sillies.

We actually had a lot of laughs today. Much better than last week. We are all trying to keep our spirits up, but a lot of people were pretty distressed at the results they got on the exam on Monday.

I, by the way, got a 90% on it. Yay me! I'm pretty pleased with that score. Not bad considering that the morning of the test I went to the gym and spent some time talking on the phone to calm my nerves rather than last minute cramming. Thank you to the people who listened to me stress out and jump from subject to subject. You know who you are, and I adore you.

1 comment:

  1. Your class is rowdier than mine! Plastic Penis??? GAH!!!!!!! I think the most excitement we've had so far is tying up...er... putting restraints on the one single guy in my lab group. The other time was when the teacher asked "Have any of you ever used restraints before?" and for some reason, at that moment, my filter was OFF and I said "In a hospital setting??" I matched your shirt today sister. :) That's probably the first thing I've said in class the whole semester too!

    ReplyDelete