Monday, April 21, 2008

Dora the Codependent Explorer


Not surprisingly, Little A loves Dora. Like LOVES her. I find myself watching a fair amount of that pint-sized, monkey-befriending, backpack-wearing, Swiper-outsmarting, Spanish-speaking, big-head-having kid. It is a bizarre show. A loves it, but I have some complaints:
1. Dora always commits to help someone before roping the audience in. One presumes that all the kids watching want to help Dora on her adventures. But it seems funny to me that Dora will say "We'll help you!" and then turns to my kid and says "Will you help?" then she pauses for the answer and then says "Great!" If I met a person like that in real life, I don't think I would always be down for that. Bossy, you know? Maybe she shouldn't commit to things she can't do on her own. Just sayin'.
2. The voices. The sound of the voices on this show makes my ears bleed. And why does the Map sound like an Urban Jewish stereotype to me? No criticism, really. I'm sure he's a mensch, even if he does send little children to places like "crocodile lake".
3. The stars. They added these in the later seasons. What is the point of that, exactly? Feh.
/end rant

No comments:

Post a Comment