Saturday, April 12, 2008

Is it jealousy?

I sometimes have feelings that make little sense. Then at other times, they make sense in context, but cause me so much shame I just pretend they don't make sense.

I hate to admit this even to myself, but I am harboring a burgeoning jealousy of A's biological parents. They have almost infinitely more rights than I do at this point, and I am just annoyed by that. I would not ever trade my life for theirs, but they do have something I will never have. Even if they lose their rights, they are still A's mother and father.

I will never get to be A's only mom, no matter what happens. There will always be a line, however tenuous, that connects her to these other people, other families. She's connected to people with pasts and human mistakes and roads I wouldn't dare travel. Someday she will have perspective on that, I can only hope.

I can hope to give her good skills for life, but I can't give her my genes, my laugh, or any of the good things in my own heritage. I feel bad for the strange way we have to graft her into the family tree. As much as I love her as if she were my own flesh, her history diverges from mine in strange ways and travels back through unknown destinations.

I love her, but she isn't all the way mine yet. There is always the chance that the courts will make a drastic reversal and I could lose her forever, and I would never know what happened to her. I'm jealous that I have to face that fear through no fault of my own. I'm a good parent to A, but I'm not blood, and blood trumps a lot. It doesn't matter how good of a person I am or how good my intentions are. It is going to turn out how it turns out, and I have to wait and see if I get to be a real, legal mom.

3 comments:

  1. I can't imagine how scared you must be on a regular basis. I don't have any advice or words of inspiration, I just wanted you to know thatI appreciate your candor. Reading your experiences is helping me prepare for things to come.

    Don't let 'em get you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment!

    It IS scary in ways most people who have not been through this would not understand. There is a sort of anticipatory grief that lives like a serpent under everything you do.

    Sometimes I catch myself thinking too far into the future, and I have to stop myself short. At least for now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not jealousy, it's envy.

    Had a little experience with that while you were reading my blog.

    Jealousy is ugly and dangerous. Envy, is a safe way to describe your feelings without be oppressive.

    JE

    ReplyDelete