Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Things on my mind


I left my heart in San Francisco, that's for sure. It is my true spiritual home in all its overpriced, messy glory. I yearn for it in every cell of my body sometimes. In its quirky embrace, a weirdo like me can just blend in or perhaps approach normal.

When we lived there, life was simple. We were broke, of course. We would be even more broke if we lived there now. The Bay Area at large is so crazy expensive. I totally get that we had to go to Washington to live in order to have our goofy lab mix in our lives. We need to be in Reno in order to build our family to include little A, who I already can't imagine my life without. But what I wouldn't give to live there again, for lots of reasons.

I'm so homesick for it today. I want some decent bread and some foggy air and all the little things. I miss the cable car bells and the good dim sum and the funky bookstores. I miss the cultural diversity and the chances of running across an accidental parade. I miss the museums and the shopping and the chance to walk for a little while and get where I'm going.

My finances almost assure at the moment that I can't live there again for a long, long time.

But just because I can't see and caress my lover doesn't mean the longing goes away. I wonder where I will end up next, and what I will add to my life there?

No comments:

Post a Comment