Monday, April 7, 2008

Firefighters Wanted


Know any firefighters? Especially from San Francisco?

I'm doing some research for my next writing project. I want my protagonist to be a big, strapping fireman, and I need to research what it is really like to have that job/lifestyle. And I want to set the story in San Francisco, because I love it there so much. New York has the iconic fireman status, but I don't really know New York as well.

I also need some good sources about antidiluvean (pre biblical flood) cultures and lore. Particularly about Nephilim and angels.

Also, has the whole storyline involving the "Angel of Death" been done, well, to death? I have this good idea, and I really like it, but I want to put a unique spin on it if possible. I'm going to read some similar books to see if I can add something to that mythos.

I'm trying hard not to psych myself out on that score. I work in spooky urban fantasy for the most part. Supernatural and spiritual themes run all through my work. But lately I have stalled out on new projects partly because I have had that "nothing new under the sun" feeling about some of the ideas I am having.

That may at least partly be due to lack of confidence. But I am willing to take my time to research this one well and develop strong plot and character outlines first. I don't want to jump in and get muddled around the middle like I sometimes do. Although I do think it is funny when my characters get painted into a corner and have to find a way out.

No comments:

Post a Comment