Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Put it in the "what if" machine

Image: http://xkcd.com/17/


Sometimes I wonder "what if?" about things in my life. Who doesn't? I can either drive myself crazy with it, or I can list some to amuse you, my silent, never commenting readership.

1. What if I never left Ohio? Oh my. What if I went to Mount Union College and stayed in Alliance? Eeek. I would not be recognizable as me, that's for sure. I would have a greener garden, a barrel-chested sports fan for a husband, probably. I would have clung to that spiral perm hairstyle longer. I would still be the wierdest girl on the block. I would probably be living in my grandparents' old house and going over to my dad's for pasta on Thursday nights and listening to his ranting.

2. What if I had married someone else? I wouldn't have Tony and that just wouldn't do. He's the only man in the known universe who could stand to live with me long-term. I might have had biological children, but then I wouldn't have Little A. Can't have that. Sometimes I look at my exes and wonder if I could have made it work with any of them. But I married the guy my dog liked. Heidi was a smart dog.

3. What if I went to the looney bin? I'd still be drooling in my Jello, I bet. This one scares me. I can't imagine ever recovering from something like that. Luckily, when my father thought it would be a good idea to institutionalize his rebellious teen daughter, the doctor disagreed with him. It feels like just luck that kept me out of the hospital. Probably that I wasn't really crazy had something to do with it. That last point is the subject of some debate, but I'll just go with how that turned out, thanks.




No comments:

Post a Comment