Friday, July 25, 2008

This is sexy to me

Behold the croquembuche, or traditional French wedding cake. It is constructed, and I mean that in an Architectural sense, from pate a choux. That's cream puffs filled with either mousse or custard or creme chantilly or any other combination of delicate surprising flavors. It is cemented together with hard crack caramel. You eat it by cracking off a cream puff and going for it. The caramel cracks on the outside, giving way to the creamy center. Yum. A well made one is not only a thing of immense beauty, but they taste fantastic.

I got to thinking about these this morning for some reason. I have made a few in my time. In fact, I have a scar on my hand from a caramel burn from one that I made. The caramel you have to work with is about 340 degrees, so if you get a little drop on you, you are gonna feel it!

One of the croquembuche that I made for a Christmas party was filled with raspberry mousse (Chambord), drizzled all over with bittersweet chocolate and decorated with hand modeled white chocolate roses. At the end of the party there were a few cream puffs that got used in a drunken food fight. What a mess! They really explode when they hit their target!

I just think they are beautiful and interesting, so I thought I would share.

1 comment: